August 2019 Introductions

August 2019 Introductions

Posted by Jeremiah Genest on Aug 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Please introduce yourself, and answer at least two of the following questions to let  us know a little about you.
  • What are you passionate about?
  • What’s the coolest thing you’re working on right now?
  • What’s the last book you read?
  • What’s the most helpful way for you to get feedback?
  • Who is your least favorite superhero?

Re: Introductions

Posted by Jeremiah Genest on Aug 12, 2019 12:34 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Jeremiah Genest, and I'm a quality professional with about 20 years experience in the biotech/pharma industry in Boston, MA. My expertise is primarily in the area of quality systems, though I've done most everything, and I have a lot of experience, and passion around change management, risk management, project/program management and team facilitation. I spend a lot of time at work figuring out how to implement and improve digital systems in the quality and collaboration spaces - the two are usually the same not that companies necessarily see that.

I am the chair of the Team and Workplace Excellence Forum, a post I took in July. I am really excited about the Forum as it united all the things I truly love about my work and has front and center the question of "How do we build a quality culture?" I am looking forward to getting to know many of you and working together to develop and strengthen knowledge and skills in this area.

I've lived in Boston for about 24 years and have settled down roots. I have two teenagers, one of who is soon no longer a teenager (going into his 2nd year in college). I find kids has been both rewarding and my greatest challenge.

To answer my own questions:
  • What are you passionate about? Building community. I spend a lot of time volunteering, at work and in other formats building community. It is one of the reasons I am so excited to be stepping into this role.
  • What’s the coolest thing you’re working on right now? I am excited to step into the role of chair of the Team and workplace Excellence Forum. I'm excited to continue to meet with and work with great quality professionals and start to push the envelop. I think the quality profession has a lot to inform areas like change management, facilitation and culture where this forum can really become a driving force.
  • What’s the last book you read? Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. Great fantasy about duality, transition and change set in Mexico during the dawn of the jazz age. Perfect summer vacation reading.
  • What’s the most helpful way for you to get feedback? I'm cool with negative feedback. I appreciate people who take the time to be direct with me.
  • Who is your least favorite superhero? Iron Man. So the science heroes drive me nuts, and Iron Man is just emblematic of that. You develop crazy technology, can figure out time travel in weeks, and yet the issues that technology might help solve are untouched.

Re: Introductions

Posted by Jacqueline Jolly on Aug 19, 2019 10:09 am

Hi all!

My name is Jackie Jolly and I've been a part-time Quality professional for about 10 years now. I say "part-time" because I work in the legal industry, and quality isn't taken very seriously in the industry/profession, but I'm trying to change that. Law firm operations is one of those areas where being very heavily credentialed can get you in the door because it sounds impressive, but law firms generally are not really interested in internal reflection or change. I'm making headway, however; this year, I've successfully lobbied for a title change (to Operational Excellence Manager) which is important to me because it tells me that my leadership takes seriously the need to not just talk about quality as an abstract concept, but to take real action in moving away from the industry status quo and align the way we do business with the way our clients do business. There is still much discomfort within the firm, but I feel like we're off to a much better start than many other firms. I'm excited about participating in the Team and Workplace Excellence Forum because much of my work will involve much culture change, and I think this forum will be a great place to share best practices and benchmark from other industries. Hopefully you all will be interested in my progress updates as well.

I'm originally from Southeastern Michigan (the Tri-County area comprising Wayne (home of Detroit), Oakland, and Macomb Counties, also known as Automation Alley), but I've lived in the Chicagoland area for almost 9 years now.

On to the questions:
  • What are you passionate about? Storytelling in any form. Books, plays, music, and even cuisine can tell you a lot about a person, place, or time. I think it's so important to view the world through the lens of other people's experiences.
  • What’s the coolest thing you’re working on right now? Rewriting my job description ("cool" is in the eye of the beholder, right?). I think it's amazing that I have an opportunity to define what "quality" looks like at my organization and the role I will play in shaping it.
  • What’s the last book you read? Therein lies one of my greatest weaknesses. I currently have several unfinished books in my house, as I am easily distracted by the the myriad of stories to be told. The book I am closest to finishing is Becoming by Michelle Obama.
  • What’s the most helpful way for you to get feedback? Any feedback! Law firms are not great at providing useful feedback. If I'm doing well, let me know what it is that's working so I know what to keep doing. If there's an area in which you would like to see improvement, let me know what's not working and why so I have something to work with. If I don't know what's wrong, I can't change it. If I don't know what's right, you run the risk that I might change it even if you don't want me to.
  • Who is your least favorite superhero? What an interesting question. I'm so used to seeing the opposite question being posed. That being said, I'm not much of a follower of any superheroes (which must seem to run counter to my love of storytelling) so I don't really have an answer to this question. I'm sorry!

Re: Introductions

Posted by Jeremiah Genest on Aug 19, 2019 1:32 pm

Jackie,

You are officially one of my heroes. I mean this very seriously. I think those blazing a new path for excellence in a non-traditional industry have a lot to be commended for. It wasn't too many years ago that hospitals didn't think they had a need for operational excellence either, and look at the major changes coming from that revolution! You should consider a presentation at WCQI.

As you can tell I'm excited to have you here. I look forward to learning and exchanging best practices with you.

Jeremiah

Re: Introductions

Posted by Jacqueline Jolly on Aug 19, 2019 5:09 pm

My goodness - thank you for your kind words! I have been thinking about submitting a proposal for WCQI; I'll consider it a little more seriously now.

Here's to excellence!

Re: Introductions

Posted by Vincent Burris on Aug 20, 2019 8:42 am

Hi Everyone!

I'm Vincent Burris of the ASQ Charlotte Section where I serve as the VoC Chair and Newsletter Editor.
A little about myself. I work as a process consultant within the health and human service portfolio for local government. My years and experiences as a quality professional is varied from the front lines in social/human services to management to process improvement. I have a Master of Science in Leadership and Organizational Change Management, Certified Six Sigma Green Belt and an ASQ Certified Quality Engineer.
  • In general, I'm passionate about problem-solving and the many facets/avenues that can take. Coming up with creative solutions to make customers happy is where I thrive, even just simple solutions.
  • The coolest thing I'm wrapping up/closing out is the completion of a Unified Workforce Development Program amongst 5 different departments within local government that is still gaining it's sea legs.
  • Books...The last book that I read was the Certified Quality Engineer Handbook in April of this year, however I love publications that run the gamut! From Esquire, Inc., Fast Company, Vogue, Toastmasters, Conde Nast Traveler, Newsweek, Essence, and Money Magazines
  • The most helpful way for me to receive feedback is directly.
  • My least favorite superhero I would say is Colossus.

From all of that you can see, I pull from varying perspectives, love to read, and love comics too!

Chat with you all soon.

Regards,

Vincent

Re: Introductions

Posted by Lokanadh Prabhala on Aug 20, 2019 9:39 am

Hi Everyone!!

I am Lokanadh Prabhala, working as Industrial Engineer at PZ corp. based on Houston, Texas.
I am here to network with like-minded people and learn. And I am in a passionate to work with people and building an asset of my own.
And the coolest thing I am working on right now is developing business team to drive social supply chain solutions to client companies. The current book i am reading is ' what you say when you talk to yourself '. its an amazing self-talk book, i would suggest everyone to read. And lastly My super heroes are my dad and my coach!! so blessed to learn from the best in the personal life and business.

Looking forward to connect with folks and have a great knowledge sharing.
Feel free to connect me at my LinkedIn.

Regards
Prabhala

Re: Introductions

Posted by Jeremiah Genest on Aug 20, 2019 1:40 pm

Welcome Vincent!

One of the areas I hope this Forum can contribute to is helping to Innovatively problem solve in the human space.

Re: Introductions

Posted by Jeremiah Genest on Aug 20, 2019 1:43 pm

Welcome Prabhala.

I've love to hear more on what you are doing to develop these business teams. Could you perhaps share in another post?

Jeremiah

Re: Introductions

Posted by Isaac Kiwan on Aug 20, 2019 2:31 pm

Hello All

My name is Isaac Kiwan, currently working as a Reliability Engineer at Weatherford Int'l in Saudi Arabia. I have been with Weatherford for 11 years in various locations and in Saudi for the last 3.5 years. I'm passionate about technology, mainly electronics. I also like to data mining and reaching unique conclusion and results based on available data, that's in work. Outside of work, I'm currently too busy studying for CRE (exam is on 8th Sep). However, in general, I like to spend time on Xbox (FIFA games online) and out with friends. Plus, taking the kids swimming or to play grounds (2 kids, boy 5 yrs and girl 3 yrs).

I'm currently working at revising the PM program for drilling and logging tools. Moreover, studying the cost of repair on drilling motors of certain size and why cost has increased tremendously. plus the regular duties of service quality and failure analysis routine work.

Haven't read books recently except the CRE handbook..

As for feedback, my wife and constant honest feedback from friends and colleagues..

My least favorite superhero is spider man..

Re: Introductions

Posted by Jeremiah Genest on Aug 21, 2019 10:41 am

Welcome Isaac.

I would love it if you could create a post sharing some of your perspective (and best practices) of working with a globally diverse team.

Re: Introductions

Posted by Isaac Kiwan on Aug 26, 2019 12:47 am

Welcome Isaac.

Thanks Jeremiah, my favorite best practice for risk management and prevention is good planning through detailed risk assessments. Developing detailed risk assessments for any condition that can arise during every phase of an operation. Usually by answering these questions for every task
  1. What could go wrong here?
  2. What will you do to prevent this?
  3. What action will you take to contain the condition if it occurred?
  4. What's your backup plan if the containment action did not work?
Having all of this prepared before hand will save you from having to take decisions on the fly where time is very limited.

Another best practice to manage reliability and maintainability for huge number of assets being utilized in various locations across many countries with different operating conditions is traceability. Having a maintenance systems where every action is logged provides detailed “health” report on that asset, logged entries include operating hours, failures, parts replaced, out of spec conditions, cost of repair, operating pressure, temperature..etc. This becomes handy when assets are being moved from location to another to assess the health of that asset before being accepted at the receiving location. Also, it’s a very helpful tool to analyze failures.

A third and final best practice is CBM (condition Based Maintenance). A software was created to log vibration and temperature data for each asset. The software generates a file that gets uploaded to the maintenance system. Based on the severity of the conditions (vibration and temperature), operating hours are amplified to accelerate preventive maintenance actions. For example, if a component is replaced every 1000 hrs. at normal conditions, it may get replaced at 300 hrs based on CBM output. The system will auto flag that component for replacement when the CBM file is uploaded. However, CBM requires constant optimization as initial PM flags are too conservative causing maintenance cost to become a burden. You may elect not to use the system and use HASS to qualify and/or perform required repairs.

- Isaac

Re: August 2019 Introductions

Posted by Michael Perry on Sep 23, 2019 10:52 am

Hi Everyone:

My name is Michael Perry and I have been working in quality industry where I have utilized my experience for the past 25 years from having done cancer research, worked for Applied Biosystems Inc. (ABI) in various capacities and now work for the Las Vegas Valley Water District as the Drinking Water Lab QA Officer.  The ability to utilize my knowledge and apply my ISO9000 training from time spent at ABI is priceless.  The many facets of quality that can drive teamwork, corrective action, continuous quality improvement, constructive feedback, time management and risk management are all play an important role in a comprehensive Quality Management System (QMS).  Getting involved in the Team and Workplace Excellence Forum to collaborate and share knowledge along with providing leadership in any capacity would be my first involvement in a quality forum as I have realized that true learning comes from collaboration and experience.

I am finishing up my Masters in Organizational Leadership with a specialty in Strategic Innovation and Change Management as it has become important to acquire the leadership soft skills required for being a leader here within the organization.  Family life keeps me fairly busy with a wife who is getting ready to start the research portion of a PhD in Gerontology and Leadership along with a set of boy/girl twins that are 21 and a 17 year old who is a senior in high school who keeps us busy with her passion being a softball pitcher.  The application of quality in family life is on a different platform than applying quality at work, which is a challenge with balancing a solid connection with your spouse.

On to the questions:
  • What are you passionate about? Corrective Action, weird I know!!  The ability to recognize discrepancies, understand the root cause and apply corrective actions is basic problem solving in every day life that can be applied to any profession that an individual chooses for a career.
  • What’s the coolest thing you’re working on right now? Bridging the quality system in the drinking water lab to the next level where the regulatory guidelines follow ISO17025.  Finishing my Masters in Organizational Leadership and getting the daughter in high school recruited on a scholarship to college.
  • What’s the last book you read? I read a different book every eight weeks for the Masters program.  Currently it is the Product Manager's Handbook and before that it was Performance Management.
  • What’s the most helpful way for you to get feedback? Any kind of feedback is great!  Getting feedback on the tasks being performed at work is great to give me a benchmark on the health of the QMS.  I am always working on taking feedback at home to improve on a personal level as continuous quality improvement applies to all areas of life.
  • Who is your least favorite superhero? Ok, so this is a great question to ask!  It is hard to pick a least favorite superhero as each one has a unique quality that is desirable, if I had to chose a least favorite superhero it would be Star-Lord from Guardians of the Galaxy as I do not find that he has any unique qualities that stand out

Hope that this post find everyone well

Mike