Have you had a group conversation about the new state of affairs? You need to say, “Hey, folks, it’s a different world. We don’t know how long this is going to last. But I want to make sure you all feel you have what you need.” This should be followed by a team launch to jump-start this new way of working.
Things to agree upon:
- How often should we communicate?
- Should it be video, phone, or Slack/Jive/Yammer. If you’re not using one of those instant messaging systems, should you?
- What’s the best way f to work together? You’ve got to help people understand how to do this and give them confidence that it work.
- Create a space to chat about non-work related topics. For example, if you use Teams or Slack, create a #water-cooler channel and make it public to everyone.
- Check-in with your team every morning. This allows all team members to share their experiences and thoughts.
- Start meetings with a check-in where everyone can express their mindset. An example is ‘Mad/Sad/Glad/Afraid’.
- Plan an hour a day where everyone is connected with the video switched on if possible.
- Arrange virtual coffee breaks to allow informal chatting. As an example, schedule a 15-minute call with your team at 11 AM every day.