Lean Manufacturing Principles

Lean Manufacturing Principles

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 9, 2019 8:41 am

Is it possible to become well versed in lean manufacturing principles without working in a lean manufacturing facility? Anyone have favorite lean resources to recommend?

Re: Lean Manufacturing Principles

Posted by Daniel Zrymiak on Jan 9, 2019 10:20 am

ASQ has a Lean Handbook which aligns to the Lean Bronze body of knowledge.  Also there are ample resources at the Lean Enterprise Division which give very good examples and insights.

Re: Lean Manufacturing Principles

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 9, 2019 10:53 am

I should clarify that I see that there are tons of resources, I am asking for help filtering so much information for the best resources.

Re: Lean Manufacturing Principles

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 9, 2019 10:55 am

Thanks Daniel Zrymiak‍, I will look into the lean handbook. I will also go through my member gifts from the past to see what is there.

Re: Lean Manufacturing Principles

Posted by Gretchen Peterson on Jan 9, 2019 11:07 am

Hi Amanda Foster‍ ,

Here's a link to 38 results, indexed to the assigned keyword lean and limited to the field of manufacturing, published in the last five years.  Hopefully, this will give you a good start and won't put you into information overload!
Gretchen Peterson, MLIS Research Librarian 414-274-2225 gpeterson@asq.org

Re: Lean Manufacturing Principles

Posted by Duke Okes on Jan 9, 2019 4:00 pm

I always recommend Ohno's Toyota Production System.  You'll get the real thing rather than what the US has done to it.

Re: Lean Manufacturing Principles

Posted by Duke Okes on Jan 9, 2019 4:07 pm

P.S.  You can easily apply the principles at home to help embed your learning.

Re: Lean Manufacturing Principles

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 10, 2019 12:20 pm

Thank you Gretchen Peterson‍, that is much more efficient than my search attempts.

Re: Lean Manufacturing Principles

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 10, 2019 12:24 pm

Thank you, Duke Okes‍ I will definitely check that out.

Interesting that you mention about using the principles at home. I have a friend who is a stay at home mother and she is always sending out updates on her attempts to lean her life and home.

Re: Lean Manufacturing Principles

Posted by Harry Rowe on Jan 10, 2019 7:16 pm

Amanda Foster‍,

See the  September/October 1999 Harvard Business Review article "Decoding the DNA of the Toyota Production System" by Steven Spear and Kent Bowen. If you can find a copy, G. Keith Turnbull's "The Alcoa Production System: Pathway to Performance".

Harry Rowe Certified Manager of Quality and Organizational Excellence ASQ Senior Member

Re: Lean Manufacturing Principles