Quality Proverbs

Quality Proverbs

Posted by Joe Wojniak on Oct 15, 2018 8:29 pm

I don't know if you're like me, but I often remember short sayings better than complicated details.  I can look up the details when they are needed, but often I only need to remember the concept to influence a decision or respond to a peer.

An example of using proverbs for learning are the Go Proverbs Illustrated by Kensaku Segoe.  Here's an example from the book of a proverb      for Go: The enemy's key play is my own key play.

The Bible also has a book of Proverbs: Proverbs 6:6-8 ... people should learn a lesson from the way ants live.  They have no leader, chief, or       ruler, but they store up their food during the summer, getting ready for winter.

There have been short sayings about Quality that have stuck with me and I continue to remember and apply.

- Say what you do and Do what you say.
  - In Quality, we are trying to work ourselves out of a job.
  - If it's not documented, it didn't happen.
  - Quality advocates for the Customer.
  - I trust in God, all others bring Data.

What's your favorite Quality saying?  (Post a reply)

Joe Wojniak ASQ CMQ/OE, CQE

Posted by Amanda Foster on Oct 16, 2018 6:26 am

We are what we continually do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
-attributed to Aristotle

Posted by James Stone on Oct 16, 2018 9:17 am

Common sense isn't common.  I use this when someone is arguing that a necessary process step doesn't need to be documented because it's "obvious."
Being wrong feels exactly like being right.  (until you realize otherwise)  Paraprased from Kathryn Schulz' TEDtalk "On Being Wrong".  I use it a lot when people jump to corrective action without doing root cause analysis first.

Posted by Doug Sadtler on Oct 19, 2018 11:10 pm

The plans of the diligent lead to profit
as surely as haste leads to poverty.
-Proverbs 21:5
Doug Sadtler, CQA, CQPA * Quality Inspector - Allen Edmonds * Chair - Section #1118 * Nashville, TN www.linkedin/in/douglassadtlerquality

Posted by Joe Wojniak on Oct 21, 2018 8:59 am

Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces.

FRANK HERBERT, Children of Dune

(I couldn't resist posting this quote, the Dune series are among my favorite books to read.  Especially the first 3 books- Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune)

Joe Wojniak ASQ CMQ/OE, CQE

Posted by Paul Ipolito on Oct 22, 2018 10:10 am

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"
Mike Tyson- American Pugilist

Posted by Amanda Foster on Oct 29, 2018 11:23 am

Without changing our patterns of thought, we will not be able to solve the problems that we created with our current patterns of thought.
-Albert Einstein

Posted by John Chivers on Oct 31, 2018 10:22 am

"If you think you have idiot-proofed something, they will find a better idiot."
-System Administrator (Anon)

Posted by Amanda Foster on Oct 31, 2018 12:13 pm

John Chivers‍ that's a good one! I may use it on my kids.

Posted by Anthony Golembiewski on Oct 31, 2018 7:20 pm

Here are two of mine:

"Better late than wrong." - I would say this in response to people who wanted to release known non-conforming product to meet a deadline.

"Never time to do it right; always time to do it over." - One of my inspectors used to say this all the time in response to how much rework we had to do because we knowingly shipped bad product to meet deadlines only to have it shipped back for rework...argh!

And one I've seen at a few different places:  "A mistake on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

And I love all the other ones posted!

Posted by Amanda Foster on Nov 6, 2018 11:00 am

A bad workman blames his tools

Posted by Giorgio Mannelli on Nov 8, 2018 8:44 am

It is not proper a proverb, but I found quite funny and revealing back at the time.
In 2010 in Croatia, my welding inspector had a habit: each time I asked him "Is everything OK at site?", he always replied "Yes, yes, ....maybe!", while having an expression of uncertainty and shrugging.
Leaving out of the picture the hypothesis he himself didn't know sometimes, it was a way of saying that suggested me how critical the control of operations is. Even when you think everything is OK, still something may go wrong. And, at site, that happens frequently.

Posted by Moutaz Al Hobayshi on Nov 8, 2018 8:24 pm

Work hard in silence let success make the noise

Posted by Amanda Foster on Nov 9, 2018 7:23 am

When quality is easy, everybody does it.

Posted by Daniel Zrymiak on Nov 10, 2018 9:11 pm

Milk the cow, but do not pull off the udder - Greek proverb

Posted by Daniel Zrymiak on Nov 10, 2018 9:20 pm

“In any bureaucracy, the people devoted to the benefit of the bureaucracy itself always get in control, and those dedicated to the goals the bureaucracy is supposed to accomplish have less and less influence, and sometimes are eliminated entirely.[Pournelle's law of Bureaucracy]”
― Jerry Pournelle

Posted by Amanda Foster on Nov 12, 2018 6:37 am

This is a great topic. I am determined to keep it going!

Posted by Brooks Carder on Nov 12, 2018 7:36 am

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Posted by Harry Rowe on Nov 12, 2018 11:30 am

A quote frequently attributed to Henry Ford (but likely inaccurately):
"If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said, 'Faster horses.'"

Harry Rowe
Harry Rowe Certified Manager of Quality and Organizational Excellence ASQ Senior Member

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 17, 2019 1:08 pm

Resurrecting another great thread from the past!

"The thing you set your mind on is the thing you ultimately become." - Nathaniel Hawthorne

Posted by Joe Wojniak on Jan 17, 2019 2:18 pm

Very true!  I also enjoyed reading "Thoughts are Things" in the book "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill.
Joe Wojniak ASQ CMQ/OE, CQE