Mixing Up Labels In Shipping Department

Mixing Up Labels In Shipping Department

Posted by Barry Garringer on Jun 27, 2019 12:56 pm

We have had a rash of shipping labels getting switched on parts being sent to the customer. This obviously causes problems on the customer's assembly line. We are now under a CS2 containment for one of our customers. Any help solving human error in this type of setting would be appreciated.

Re: Mixing Up Labels In Shipping Department

Posted by Shusletta Wright on Jun 28, 2019 6:51 am

Hello Barry,

My suggestions would be to issue a CAR (Corrective-Action Report), to the manager of the department. Doing this should identify the root cause of the issue. It may be that your shipping/labeling process needs to be revised. After you have identified the 5 Why's, the root cause, you may want to re-train the employees to ensure that the corrective action is proven to be effective.To me, this is the most important part; to make sure that the change is "effective". Your customer wants you to prove that you have resolved the issue. And last, have you considered maybe color coding the labels somehow? I found that was very effective at my place of employment 🙂!!!!

Good luck to you and I hope it works out!!!

Re: Mixing Up Labels In Shipping Department

Posted by Shusletta Wright on Jun 28, 2019 7:04 am

Barry,

When I mentioned issuing a CAR, it would also be the same as issuing a CAPA! Each employer I have worked for has called it something different, but it means the same🙂!

Best Regards

Re: Mixing Up Labels In Shipping Department

Posted by Barry Garringer on Jun 28, 2019 9:31 am

I have thought about color coding each pack station along with the area that the paper work for each station travels through.

This morning I busted them with four different parts in the area and two people printing labels.

The Department Leaders are now developing a more robust training system.

Re: Mixing Up Labels In Shipping Department

Posted by Kong Ying Ying on Oct 20, 2019 2:59 am

Hi

I would suggest to utilise some of the Six Sigma tools ,eg maintaining 5S in your area. Also you may want to spend some time to look into your process activities to find out exactly why it occur, eg multi-cycle analysis. This can help to streamline your process and at the same time remove unnecessary process steps.

All the best !

Regards
YY

Re: Mixing Up Labels In Shipping Department

Posted by Alfonso Garcia Jr on Nov 25, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi Barry,
I have experienced the same issue several times, and it's one of the easiest problems to find it's the root cause, but difficult to find a technical solution.  Training and behavioral solutions such as color-coding help but don't guarantee zero defects forward.  That being said, I can share some ideas from recent projects I have been part of.  First, I would look into eliminating steps.  If labels are being placed at different locations throughout the process you could investigate the possibility of printing shipping labels in advance, perhaps along with production barcode labels in order the eliminate the last step and reduce the risk of mislabeling when trying to match part numbers or serial numbers.  Secondly, look into adding a program (could be Excel VGA programming) that requires entries such as gross weight, part number, serial number, stamp number, etc and have the program match the entries against a database, if the data is within limits then print the label.  If a gross weight or stamp part number does not match, prompt the user to contact the supervisor.  Lastly, as containment action, you could add hand scanners to scan labels prior to shipping placing the final labels in order to ensure the serial numbers match.

Re: Mixing Up Labels In Shipping Department

Posted by Alfonso Garcia Jr on Nov 25, 2019 12:23 pm

I just noticed that your post is from June!  It would be great if you could share some of the actions that you have implemented.

Regards,