ASQ WCQI.... It's our time of the year

ASQ WCQI.... It's our time of the year

Posted by Luigi Sille on Feb 24, 2019 6:50 am

“ASQ World Conference on Quality and Improvement 2019”

MAY 20 – 22, 2019 | Fort Worth, TX

Talking to other quality professionals is a MUST. It’s a way to expand your knowledge about specific quality related topics.
That’s the importance of attending Quality Conferences.
It’s a great way to learn new ideas, a way to get inspired, motivated and full of NEW energy to improve the quality of service and or products when you get back home.

ARE YOU GOING TO ATTEND THE CONFERENCE ?

And why do YOU find it IMPORTANT ?

Re: ASQ WCQI.... It's our time of the year

Posted by Amanda Foster on Feb 26, 2019 10:12 am

As the sole Quality professional in my organization I rely on events like the WCQI to meet quality minded people with whom to share advice and ideas. The keynote speakers are always spectacular and the sessions are very informative. I love the opening and closing ceremonies. Don't get me started on the ITEA case studies! I love WCQI!

That said, I am not yet certain if I will be able to make this year or not.

Re: ASQ WCQI.... It's our time of the year

Posted by Arthur Richard on Feb 26, 2019 12:46 pm

There's nothing quite as effective as in-person face to face one-on-one conversations with people to build lasting respectful relationships.WCQI is one of the best venues for transnational networking with real people!

Re: ASQ WCQI.... It's our time of the year

Posted by James Duarte on Feb 26, 2019 7:20 pm

I agree that WCQI is a great event for networking and meeting people.  For new members who want to get the basics, the conference is great.  I'm a 42 year member (and Fellow since 2003) and I find that the information has gone stale.  There is so much going on with technology and the ability to access more data with improved analytics than ever before.  The Quality 4.0 Ted talks at WCQI have been "standing room only" for the past two years, but they have been cut from the program this year.  Why were they relegated to 15 minute snippets in the first place?  The Quality 4.0 Conference had a 60+% year over year increase in attendance while ASQ Headquarters is asking why membership is decreasing (as they cut the Quality 4.0 theatres).  I've seen comments from the reviewers who choose papers for WCQI.  They look at 21st century information and make rejection comments like: "that's the future of quality", "only of interest to a relative few", "topic doesn't resonate with the membership".  All I can say is that the future of quality happened over 10 years ago and they missed it.  We need a more up to date set of reviewers to get 21st century topics on the program.  I speak at many Section and Division meetings both in person and through webinars.  Members who are experienced in quality tell me that the Quality 4.0 Conference, Innovation Division Conference and Lean Six Sigma Conference really showcase the future of quality more than WCQI which, in their words,  "is filled with 'warmed over' 20th century presentations". In a recent email from ASQ announcing WQCI as showing "exponential change".  I was really taken aback when one of the papers highlighted for the future of quality is: "Aligning Lean Six Sigma With the Customer Insights Business Case".  Is this exponential change?  As a LSSMBB I thought that getting customer insights has always been part of LSS, not the future.  While at the same time a paper on advances in disruptive analytics (basics appeared in QP, Sept. 2017) was rejected.  If ASQ leadership doesn't move ASQ into the 21st century, then they are not listening to their customers.

Re: ASQ WCQI.... It's our time of the year

Posted by Luigi Sille on Feb 27, 2019 6:03 am

Hi James Duarte‍ ,

I am not a 42 year member, i am a member since 2013.
What I have experience, during the conferences (2013 to 2018) had a VERY HIGH LEVEL. I don't think the reviewers are doing a bad JOB.

Maybe for the ones that have been a member for a longer period of time, it is not interesting anymore: These members want to see change / innovation, and I agree. But if ASQ has to introduce changes, we as members / attendees, have to let this info get back to HQ through surveys !

We as members play a very important role in this development. We are a community focused on Quality, innovation, and continuous improvement, and the only way to improve the WQCI is through communication.

Re: ASQ WCQI.... It's our time of the year

Posted by Amanda Foster on Feb 27, 2019 3:28 pm

James Duarte‍ interesting perspective. I have served as a reviewer and am curious about what you are hoping to see in the conference offerings. I will say, though, that I sometimes see great potential topics submitted with such poor abstracts that they are rejected before they really get a chance. There is a criteria for evaluating the abstracts and sometimes the proposals lose too many points because the correct details or format are not present.

Admittedly, I usually attend the conference as an ITEA judge which means I miss most of the conference. I get the conference recordings, so I do get the opportunity to experience some of the presentations in that format.

Re: ASQ WCQI.... It's our time of the year

Posted by James Duarte on Feb 27, 2019 7:31 pm

I, too, have been a reviewer several times. I agree that submissions need to be clear, concise and organized. I try to support new and innovative ideas so that new members can choose among the basics as well as the leading edge. My personal experience is that I presented innovative work at WCQI in Charlotte. It led invitations to keynote for the Shanghai Academy for Quality Management twice at the Chinese International Industrial Fair twice, an invitation to lead a quality meeting in Taiwan with Dr. Kano as well as speaking in Europe. Myself as well as colleagues with similar credentials as mine are consistently rejected by WCQI reviewers with comments as I put in my original writings. Reread my entire previous writing then tell me if the highlighted topics are truly “the future of quality”. Justify cutting the Quality 4.0 theaters that have had standing room only the last two years, but those papers were originally rejected by reviewers.  All members need a more balanced program. Look past the “how many points it got” to see the value of the information that members could receive.

Re: ASQ WCQI.... It's our time of the year

Posted by Harry Rowe on Feb 27, 2019 7:55 pm

As both a several time reviewer, and a prospective presenter who has had a machine learning abstract rejected for 2019, I can see both sides. I have seen a large number of proposals that had very interesting concepts but were very poorly developed. Based on the reviewer comments I received, I felt that in the case of my recent machine learning proposal, the reviewer lacked the background to understand and evaluate the proposal.

Perhaps there needs to be a two or more step review process that allows for more back and forth with reviewers, to allow reviewers to guide applicants to better develop their proposals and to allow applicants to clarify their proposals. Perhaps a better job could be done of matching proposals to reviewers with backgrounds appropriate to the subject matter..

Harry Rowe Certified Manager of Quality and Organizational Excellence ASQ Senior Member

Re: ASQ WCQI.... It's our time of the year

Posted by Amanda Foster on Feb 28, 2019 6:43 am

James DuarteI agree, and I have actually advocated for abstracts that were poorly presented yet offered great potential. Comments are required and I use that opportunity to provide feedback that the score does not reflect (one way or the other).

Harry Rowe‍, yes! Sometimes there is a great idea that is so poorly presented in the abstract that a reviewer cannot count on the presenter to be of the caliber expects for the world conference. The specifications for submitting the abstracts are not so complex that they cannot be followed. When a presenter submits an abstract that fails to meet the basic requirements it is hard to look past that and assume that the ultimate presentation will be so much better. I see the same issue in the ITEA preliminary round; sometimes there is a fabulous project that just does not meet the basic requirements for the ITEA criteria.

As to your second point I agree wholeheartedly. I have actually recused myself from reviewing abstracts occasionally when I felt I was underqualified for evaluating them. It's rare, but I have done so. The questionnaire used to match reviewers and proposals is fairly basic, perhaps there are improvements for this. I like the idea of being able to clarify with the presenter when an idea is poorly developed or the proposal does not meet the specifications.

Re: ASQ WCQI.... It's our time of the year

Posted by Daniel Zrymiak on Feb 28, 2019 11:27 am

It was very revealing in Seattle when the screen displayed the signals from attendees within the various rooms.  It was evident which sessions were drawing in the most interest.

I spoke on a topic, Software Quality and it was well received by the attendees (9.5/10 for both session and speaker ratings).  However, a slightly advanced version of the same presentation was not accepted for 2019.  Software QA is a niche area within ASQ (<5% of members have their CSQE).  It didn't draw the crowds that would fill the rooms for broader Lean and Quality topics.  For a conference of 3,000 attendees, a Concurrent Session or Workshop should appeal to enough people to justify its inclusion within the program, and apportionment of the schedule and attendees.

Selection also depends on how the content is categorized.  If the majority of the attendees are in the New to Quality or Intermediate levels, the Advanced and Masters Series presentations will not be relevant yet for this group.  That is why the WCQI has to bias its offerings to appeal to those expected to be in attendance.

Selection as a conference speaker is not an entitlement; it is a privilege and an opportunity.  Nothing is guaranteed so you just have to make the most of the opportunities you are extended, even if it is an activated back-up session.

Re: ASQ WCQI.... It's our time of the year

Posted by Trish Borzon on Mar 1, 2019 9:30 am

Good news!  We are still having the 4.0 theaters, they will just be moved into the ASQ Center space.

Re: ASQ WCQI.... It's our time of the year

Posted by Amanda Foster on Mar 4, 2019 12:43 pm

I just registered, I will be there! I am looking forward to meeting many of you in person!