ASQ Next Generation Discussion Forum

ASQ Next Generation Discussion Forum

Posted by Daniel Zrymiak on Jan 15, 2019 11:56 am

I am sharing a link to an ASQ Next Generation online discussion forum.

I hope that the people involved will find a way to migrate these posts and content into myASQ.  I will tag Jerry Rice‍  and Stephanie Thompson‍  as QMD was essential to the formation and cultivation of this particular community.

Posted by Doug Sadtler on Jan 15, 2019 12:09 pm

If your Section advocates for a Student Chapter, or you have a desire to mentor to those still in academia...or simply New to Quality, this is an outstanding group of individuals eager to help.  I highly recommend checking them out.  Stephanie is a powerful advocate for this, and I echo Dan's kudos toward her!!
Doug Sadtler, CQA, CQPA * Quality Inspector - Allen Edmonds * Chair - Section #1118 * Nashville, TN www.linkedin/in/douglassadtlerquality

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 15, 2019 12:47 pm

Thanks Daniel Zrymiak‍, This sounds like a great community.

Posted by Dan Burrows on Jan 16, 2019 9:36 pm

Cynthia Nazario‍ , What is this ASQ Next Generation Discussion Forum and how does it relate to what myASQ is supposed to be?  Is this a potential duplication or confusing alternative site for the generation you are trying to get on myASQ?
Dan Burrows ASQ Reliability & Risk Division - Chair

Posted by Amanda Kennedy Newell on Jan 17, 2019 5:39 am

Thanks for sharing this resource!

If I understand correctly, there is a mentoring match up component. Are there qualifications for mentors and for mentees?

Amanda

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 17, 2019 7:00 am

Good question Dan Burrows‍. I think they are working on navigating those things over here, but it is more complicated if I understand correctly. I think there are preexisting contracts that need to finish out and training that has to be completed. I asked similar questions earlier on and these were the type of responses I got.

It would be nice for momentum on my ASQ to have everything over here all at once, though!

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 17, 2019 7:01 am

Amanda Kennedy Newell‍ really? That would be great! I am always looking for mentors. I hope someone answers your question about qualifications because I am also interested in the answer.

Posted by Daniel Zrymiak on Jan 17, 2019 10:08 am

Hello Dan Burrows‍  , Amanda Foster‍  ,  Cynthia Nazario‍  et al.

The NextGen discussion group predated myASQ but appears to operate along the same lines.  I was just hoping that some of the themes and content could be rolled into myASQ to effectively engage the Young Quality Professionals again.

In the pre-Transformation era, I also served on an ad hoc committee in 2017, led by Christianna Hayes‍ , which included Lindsay Lapatinsky‍  , David Levy‍  , and Vijai Venkata‍ which was targeted to effectively engage and support those recent members of ASQ who were both Young Quality Professionals and New To Quality.  There was widespread support across TCC and SAC for this particular group, which was reinforced by monetary support and sponsorship.  ASQ Leaders including Lawrence Mossman‍ , Daniel Sniezek‍ ,  Steven Schuelka‍ , Stephanie Thompson‍ , Jerry Rice‍  and their compatriots and predecessors were vocal advocates of providing and delivering additional programs and discounts to student members attending ASQ conferences and programs.

The years of constructive progress were abruptly halted or, in the mellifluous parlance of current ASQ Leadership figures like Daniella Picciotti‍  , Mark Moyer‍ , Sylvester Newton‍ , and Luis Morales‍ ; the Next Generation ad hoc New To Quality committee and programs were "SUNSET".   I am not accusing anyone of nefarious intentions; only the careless inattention to detail.  By appeasing the demands of the original champions of ASQ's Member Unit Transformation, several of whom have since abandoned the Society for other pursuits, our top tier of Member Leaders have prioritized the WANTS of the privileged few over the NEEDS of those whom the Society was created to actually assist and support.

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 17, 2019 12:26 pm

I went to the site, but I have a question. I am not a student, but I'm still relatively new to quality, so I'm not sure I'm mentor material. Is there a place on that site for someone like me to get involved?

Posted by Dan Burrows on Jan 17, 2019 2:08 pm

Amanda Foster‍ , myASQ should have captured and covered this.  The philosophy being "Measure Twice, Cut Once" for significant endeavors.
Dan Burrows ASQ Reliability & Risk Division - Chair

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 17, 2019 3:17 pm

I'm definitely getting a benefit from the expertise of the contributor on myASQ. I hope the value represented on the ASQ Next Generation discussion forum migrates over here soon.

Posted by Jerry Rice on Jan 19, 2019 2:38 pm

Hey Dan Zrymiak,

Thanks for calling me out again. I WILL return the favor someday. It took me a while to respond because the NextGen and Global activities are an important part of our objectives this year. I want to get this right.

While you only mentioned the NextGen initiative, both QMD NextGen and Global efforts are critical areas where we have built out member leader infrastructure. Stephanie Thompson, Denis Devos, and Prashant Hoskote have done tremendous work over the years. However, it requires a disproportionate amount of resources for the results. One division cannot shoulder the burden. These efforts would be more effective at the ASQ level where NextGen and Global support all ASQ divisions and sections. They should be their own member units with their own leadership, business plans, and budgets. I’ll use NextGen as an example since you brought it up, but Global could follow the same basic framework.

Stephanie and the QMD NextGen team are charged with supporting both students and professionals just starting out their career. The team has fostered relationships with students and professors at various universities. While there have been some successes, there aren’t enough resources on the team to really support students and student branches throughout the country… or the world for that matter. We need more folks that are passionate about supporting students and building out an ASQ student support infrastructure.

When it comes to young professionals, as you can see by the website, we have offered a mentoring program that has never really gotten off the ground. Based on my experience with sections and various divisions we have all had the bright idea of starting a mentor program at some point. It’s one of those things where it goes good for a year or two then dies out. I’ve concluded mentor programs aren’t sustainable at the member unit level. A mentor program is a great idea, but they require administrative resources to be successful. We (ASQ) should administer one program across all member units. There is also potential to integrate the Emerging Quality Leaders Program under the ASQ NextGen umbrella as well.

The Quality Management Division is recommending the ASQ NextGen subcommittee becomes its own member unit in 2019. We have budgeted monies to support the committee through 2019 but expect the committee to be supporting all ASQ student and young professional activities in 2020.

My hope is our Board of Directors and members will support this objective. The ASQ NextGen activities are too important to leave to just one division. Again, I could say the same thing about our Global outreach efforts.

Thanks again Dan,

Jerry Rice
Chair
ASQ Quality Management Division

P.S. The ASQ NextGen website you posted is outdated. While it seemed like a good idea at the time, it is a prime example of ASQ material languishing out there on the internet. The ASQ NextGen web presence should be moved to MyASQ and the site you linked to should be shut down.

Posted by Daniel Zrymiak on Jan 20, 2019 9:44 am

Hi Jerry Rice‍

For the NextGen issue, I wasn't calling you out so much as extending compliments and due credit to you and QMD for taking the lead over the years.  I hope that you did not perceive this as being antagonistic or disrespectful.

You are correct that that coaching and mentorship often promoted within ASQ, but difficult to quantify and validate within the Society.  I will defer to HD&L luminaries like Brooks Carder‍  , Wanda Sturm‍ , John Breckline‍  , and Stephanie Gaulding‍  to elaborate on the best practices (including the very distinction between coaching and mentorship).

I think it will take more than just a "lift and shift" of work from exceptional QMD volunteer leaders like Stephanie Thompson‍  , Denis Devos‍ , and Prashant Hoskote‍ .  A quick review of the ITEA case studies and candidates reveals that the predominant teams are more likely to represent India, China, Mexico, and South America than the U.S.A.; reflecting that Quality has already gone global.  A global outreach program should not be done with the mindset of evangelizing and proselytizing Quality, but of embracing the international participants and effectively engaging them into our global Society.

I am encouraged by the international representation within our current BoD, and share your hope that the voices of growth and progress within the BoD will prevail over the advocates of contraction and scope reduction.

Posted by Jerry Rice on Jan 20, 2019 10:08 am

I was just giving you a hard time Dan. You actually shined a light on one of our strategic objectives for this year.

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 21, 2019 8:55 am

Agreed Daniel Zrymiak‍. As an ITEA judge it has been bothering me that there are so few U.S., or even North American in general, companies represented. I think it's wonderful to see so many international teams, but the awards don't represent the demographics of ASQ as far as I can tell and that is unfortunate. I think we need to do a better job engaging international participants in our society and also a better job encouraging North American teams to participate in the ITEA.

I think that for some reason the international organizations see more value in the recognition achieved by the award program than North American ones do. This disconnect could be used to determine the requirements needed for the type of global outreach program you are suggesting.