Quality Proverbs

Quality Proverbs

Posted by Joe Wojniak on Oct 15, 2018 8:29 pm

I don't know if you're like me, but I often remember short sayings better than complicated details.  I can look up the details when they are needed, but often I only need to remember the concept to influence a decision or respond to a peer.

An example of using proverbs for learning are the Go Proverbs Illustrated by Kensaku Segoe.  Here's an example from the book of a proverb      for Go: The enemy's key play is my own key play.

The Bible also has a book of Proverbs: Proverbs 6:6-8 ... people should learn a lesson from the way ants live.  They have no leader, chief, or       ruler, but they store up their food during the summer, getting ready for winter.

There have been short sayings about Quality that have stuck with me and I continue to remember and apply.

- Say what you do and Do what you say.
  - In Quality, we are trying to work ourselves out of a job.
  - If it's not documented, it didn't happen.
  - Quality advocates for the Customer.
  - I trust in God, all others bring Data.

What's your favorite Quality saying?  (Post a reply)

Joe Wojniak ASQ CMQ/OE, CQE

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 17, 2019 3:14 pm

"Thought are things."

Hmm, I like that, too. I'm glad I resurrected this thread and that you started it in the first place.

Posted by Brian Hill on Jan 18, 2019 4:29 pm

A couple that have stuck with me over the years,

"Safety protects people, Quality protects jobs"
"Quality is a journey, not a destination"

Posted by Doug Sadtler on Jan 18, 2019 5:47 pm

"A factory is known by its services and its products; and upon the quality rests the demand.  The firm that "produces the goods" gets the business.  Sympathetic service and quality products presage progress.  And the man who has crowded out inertia by initiative, and is endowed with energy instead of embonpoint, is sure of success."
-Elbert Hubbard, "The Romance of Business", 1927, p. 13.
Doug Sadtler, CQA, CQPA * Quality Inspector - Allen Edmonds * Chair - Section #1118 * Nashville, TN www.linkedin/in/douglassadtlerquality

Posted by Doug Sadtler on Jan 18, 2019 6:12 pm

"...it is certain that every man, however obscure, however far removed from the general recognition, is one of a group of men impressible for good, and impressible for evil, and that it is in the eternal nature of things that he cannot really improve himself without in some degree improving other men."
-Charles Dickens, Speech, Birmingham, September 27, 1869, paragraph 4.

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 21, 2019 9:00 am

These are great and thought provoking. I especially love the Dickens quote Doug Sadtler‍. I like how it reminds us that our actions are not our own, our actions affect others for good or for ill.

Posted by David Harry on Jan 26, 2019 1:12 pm

"Don't believe everything you read  on the Intranet about  Quality"
- Abraham Lincoln
Best, Dave Harry, PMP® CSSBB LBC, The Process Whisperer®, Greeneville, TN

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 28, 2019 8:22 am

Ha ha ha David Harry‍.

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 28, 2019 8:26 am

A variation on the "teach a man to fish..."

He helps others most, who shows them how to help themselves.
-A.P. Gouthey

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 28, 2019 8:29 am

I liked this too. It's more leadership than strictly Quality, but I think it still works.

I have yet to find the man, however exalted his station, who did not do better work and put forth a greater effort under a spirit of approval than under a spirit of criticism.
-Charles M Schwab

Posted by Nada Aboshawish on Feb 11, 2019 12:08 pm

I love this discussion thread...

I have 3 that stuck with me so far through my career:

1. An auditor once told me: "If it moves, train it, if it doesn't move, calibrate it and if it's not written down, then it never happened" (Not entirely accurate but it's taking up valuable real-estate in my head :)
2. "It's not the people, it's the process" I can't remember where I heard this, but it was early in my career and I live by it.
3. "Know Quality, Know Profit. No Quality, No Profit" - Jim Moran, MA Ed. Management System Designer (simplifyiso.com)

Posted by Amanda Foster on Feb 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Me too Nada Aboshawish‍! It's a great general discussion.

Posted by Brooks Carder on Feb 11, 2019 6:42 pm

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Posted by James Breneman on Feb 18, 2019 2:42 pm

Every day you experiment, it’s up to you whether you learn from it or not.

Posted by Kevin Posey on Feb 20, 2019 10:33 am

"The statistics will say anything you want as long as you torture them long enough!" - anonymous

Three levels of untruth: Lies, damn lies, statistics.  Extra credit if you notice that politicians of all stripes satisfy all three levels at the same time in most public statements. - 5 out of 3 Statisticians agree with these statements

Worst introduction in quality: "Hi, I'm your ISO Auditor and I'm here to help"

Posted by Joe Wojniak on Mar 20, 2019 10:45 am

@Kevin Posey: I appreciate this humorous way to point out a fundamental characteristic of statistics, which is- statistics is a form of logical reasoning.  In a logical argument, a set of premises are stated and then a conclusion is derived from these premises.  If the conclusion is certain or true as derived from the premises is logical deduction.  If the conclusion is probably true but could also be false is considered logical induction.  Here's a link where the topic of statistics and reasoning is discussed further.  I'm no logician, this is simply my layman's understanding of the topic.

The statements regarding politicians is similar to a saying I've also heard: Statistics don't lie but people lie with statistics.  What this points out is that if any of the premises or conditions of the statistical problem are false, then the conclusion is likely to be false.  This is the realm of logical fallacies (errors.)  Intentionally arguing with a known error (or at least known to you) in order to convince others to accept a conclusion that you favor is probably what people object to in politics.  The Trivium is an excellent reference to explore these topics further--

The Trivium - https://www.amazon.com/Trivium-Liberal-Logic-Grammar-Rhetoric/dp/0967967503
Logical Fallacies - https://thebestschools.org/magazine/15-logical-fallacies-know/
Joe Wojniak ASQ CMQ/OE, CQE

Posted by Amanda Foster on Apr 5, 2019 7:00 am

My SIL gave me a calendar of quotes for Christmas, and I thought this one from yesterday was appropriate for this discussion (that I refuse to let die!).

"We first make our habit, then our habits make us." John Dryden