Quality Proverbs

Quality Proverbs

Posted by Joe Wojniak on Oct 15, 2018 8:29 pm

I don't know if you're like me, but I often remember short sayings better than complicated details.  I can look up the details when they are needed, but often I only need to remember the concept to influence a decision or respond to a peer.

An example of using proverbs for learning are the Go Proverbs Illustrated by Kensaku Segoe.  Here's an example from the book of a proverb      for Go: The enemy's key play is my own key play.

The Bible also has a book of Proverbs: Proverbs 6:6-8 ... people should learn a lesson from the way ants live.  They have no leader, chief, or       ruler, but they store up their food during the summer, getting ready for winter.

There have been short sayings about Quality that have stuck with me and I continue to remember and apply.

- Say what you do and Do what you say.
  - In Quality, we are trying to work ourselves out of a job.
  - If it's not documented, it didn't happen.
  - Quality advocates for the Customer.
  - I trust in God, all others bring Data.

What's your favorite Quality saying?  (Post a reply)

Joe Wojniak ASQ CMQ/OE, CQE

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 17, 2019 3:14 pm

"Thought are things."

Hmm, I like that, too. I'm glad I resurrected this thread and that you started it in the first place.

Posted by Brian Hill on Jan 18, 2019 4:29 pm

A couple that have stuck with me over the years,

"Safety protects people, Quality protects jobs"
"Quality is a journey, not a destination"

Posted by Doug Sadtler on Jan 18, 2019 5:47 pm

"A factory is known by its services and its products; and upon the quality rests the demand.  The firm that "produces the goods" gets the business.  Sympathetic service and quality products presage progress.  And the man who has crowded out inertia by initiative, and is endowed with energy instead of embonpoint, is sure of success."
-Elbert Hubbard, "The Romance of Business", 1927, p. 13.
Doug Sadtler, CQA, CQPA * Quality Inspector - Allen Edmonds * Chair - Section #1118 * Nashville, TN www.linkedin/in/douglassadtlerquality

Posted by Doug Sadtler on Jan 18, 2019 6:12 pm

"...it is certain that every man, however obscure, however far removed from the general recognition, is one of a group of men impressible for good, and impressible for evil, and that it is in the eternal nature of things that he cannot really improve himself without in some degree improving other men."
-Charles Dickens, Speech, Birmingham, September 27, 1869, paragraph 4.

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 21, 2019 9:00 am

These are great and thought provoking. I especially love the Dickens quote Doug Sadtler‍. I like how it reminds us that our actions are not our own, our actions affect others for good or for ill.

Posted by David Harry on Jan 26, 2019 1:12 pm

"Don't believe everything you read  on the Intranet about  Quality"
- Abraham Lincoln
Best, Dave Harry, PMP® CSSBB LBC, The Process Whisperer®, Greeneville, TN

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 28, 2019 8:22 am

Ha ha ha David Harry‍.

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 28, 2019 8:26 am

A variation on the "teach a man to fish..."

He helps others most, who shows them how to help themselves.
-A.P. Gouthey

Posted by Amanda Foster on Jan 28, 2019 8:29 am

I liked this too. It's more leadership than strictly Quality, but I think it still works.

I have yet to find the man, however exalted his station, who did not do better work and put forth a greater effort under a spirit of approval than under a spirit of criticism.
-Charles M Schwab

Posted by Nada Aboshawish on Feb 11, 2019 12:08 pm

I love this discussion thread...

I have 3 that stuck with me so far through my career:

1. An auditor once told me: "If it moves, train it, if it doesn't move, calibrate it and if it's not written down, then it never happened" (Not entirely accurate but it's taking up valuable real-estate in my head :)
2. "It's not the people, it's the process" I can't remember where I heard this, but it was early in my career and I live by it.
3. "Know Quality, Know Profit. No Quality, No Profit" - Jim Moran, MA Ed. Management System Designer (simplifyiso.com)

Posted by Amanda Foster on Feb 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Me too Nada Aboshawish‍! It's a great general discussion.

Posted by Brooks Carder on Feb 11, 2019 6:42 pm

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Posted by James Breneman on Feb 18, 2019 2:42 pm

Every day you experiment, it’s up to you whether you learn from it or not.