Membership Incentive

Membership Incentive

Posted by Thomas Petrocella on Feb 6, 2019 7:41 pm

I have an ask that has probably been asked before but I'll ask again.  How about when I renew my membership I get to select an ASQ published standard or book with my membership? That would be member value while increasing my own personal quality body of knowledge which goes right along with our mission statement.

Re: Membership Incentive

Posted by Daniel Zrymiak on Feb 7, 2019 11:16 am

I think this might be too costly to provide for each individual member who renews.  At a rate of 80% renewals of Regular (Full. Senior, Fellow) members, that commits ASQ to donating 40,000 copies of books or standards every year (assuming 40K of 50K Regular members renews their membership).

There is room for an additional member classification between the 25-30% who are Senior members, and the 1% who have attained Fellow Membership.  If the top 10% of Senior Members (approx. 3,000 members or 5% of total ASQ membership) were identified and nominated for such a classification (i.e. Associate Fellow, Distinguished Senior), a membership incentive like a $25 USD annual credit from Quality Press would be an effective recognition and reward for this distinguished tier of ASQ members. This could also be provided and enjoyed locally at the geographic or technical levels.  This could particularly reward unsung heroes within ASQ who toil behind the scenes as Treasurers and Secretaries, without publicity or glory.

I also would like to have a contingent of Associate Fellows as a future pipeline of potential Fellows and exemplary ASQ members.  This could be funded as a mix of ASQ membership campaign programs, member unit engagement endeavors, and Quality Press promotional discounts.

Re: Membership Incentive

Posted by Luigi Sille on Feb 7, 2019 11:33 am

HI DANIEL,

I AGREE!

Luigi

Re: Membership Incentive

Posted by Amanda Foster on Feb 11, 2019 9:38 am

Daniel Zrymiak‍ I still like this idea. I agree that the gap between Senior and Fellow offers an Opportunity for Improvement in which another class may be just the ticket.

Re: Membership Incentive

Posted by Michael Hirt on Feb 11, 2019 11:42 am

I seem to remember in years past that when I renewed "early" I got a Quality Press credit. I do not know if that is still the same.

Michael Hirt
ASQ-Fellow, ASQ-CMQ/OE; ASQ-CQE; ASQ-CQA

Re: Membership Incentive

Posted by Kevin Posey on Feb 20, 2019 10:18 am

There is the option for Quality Press to offer PDF's of previous revisions as a membership incentive.  Many times the certification handbooks undergo relatively minimal changes so a PDF of the retired revision or one additional one back could be highly valued for an electronic library.  Many of us are already out of room on the bookshelves for more bound books.  An accessible PDF reference book means more to me in many cases.  Same could be said for prior versions of standards.  ISO 9001:2008 may be obsolete, but it still has some value as a pdf reference.  Just my two bits.

Kevin

Re: Membership Incentive

Posted by Trish Borzon on Feb 22, 2019 3:47 pm

There still is an early renewal incentive.  If you renew 30 day prior to your end date you have the option to choose a renewal reward.

Re: Membership Incentive

Posted by Daniel Zrymiak on Feb 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Thank you Trish Borzon‍  and Lisa Valle‍

I can personally vouch for the early renewal promo codes as mine was honored earlier this month by ASQ Customer Care.

1 particular promo code used every three years represents a $23/year benefit, which is like a 15% annual discount on your dues, just for doing what you were going to do anyways a few weeks sooner.

It's like being the first to arrive at breakfast, and getting the pick of the best selections of fresh fruit and bacon.

Re: Membership Incentive

Posted by Harry Rowe on Feb 22, 2019 8:04 pm

A physical bound book involves a cost to ASQ, although not nearly the full price. An online course however should represent almost zero marginal cost. Why not one free course per member renewal? This might suppress demand for paid courses, but only slightly.
Harry Rowe Certified Manager of Quality and Organizational Excellence ASQ Senior Member

Re: Membership Incentive

Posted by Amanda Foster on Feb 26, 2019 10:12 am

I love this idea, Harry Rowe‍!

Re: Membership Incentive

Posted by Trish Borzon on Feb 27, 2019 9:49 am

Thanks for all the great ideas!  I'll keep them in mind as we move forward with all aspects of membership.

Keep the ideas coming!  We want to provide you with the best opportunities to move your career forward.

Trish

Re: Membership Incentive

Posted by Jeremiah Genest on Mar 24, 2019 9:14 am

I think that the monthly member bundles easily provide a few books as PDFs ever year. And some of them are very relevant.

For me the ASQ membership needs to be a mix - I would receive current thought, sponsor new thought, support opportunities to meet.

Not sure the percentages it actually works out to, but frankly it sometimes appears the current financials are a mess. More transparency please.

So I look to QP, the journals I get access to as a senior member and the monthly bundles as sharing current thought. I think the additions of journals at senior makes sense, by that time in your career most folks are needing more than QP and the bundles for learning.

the Divisions I would hope are primary engines of research, pushing the thought. Not always the case but I can dream. I think this should include some sort of conference.

the geographical orgs (sections) than should be the major driver for getting together and sharing.

I love the idea of a mid level between fellow. I look at Fellow and I frankly don’t see myself doing it, mostly because it rewards behaviors I have not invested much in (not that they are bad behaviors per se, just ones I haven’t engaged in)

Having a way to draw upon senior members (and frankly if you qualify for senior membership just do it, it takes 20 minutes) and mobilize them seems like a smart idea.