Greetings from Austin Texas

Greetings from Austin Texas

Posted by Ellen Martin on Mar 6, 2019 8:37 pm

I am a Registered Nurse and my first quality role was almost 30 years ago as the unit quality nurse where I checked to make sure our crash cart was fully stocked and locked, and all medications and supplies were not expired.  Since then, I have had a variety of roles from outcomes management for a cardiac service line, quality supervisor in community mental health, and quality director in home care and hospice which included risk management, corporate compliance, service quality, and outcomes management.  It was an honor and joy  to work with clinical staff to help them reach the quality goals most important to them for their patients.  I maintain certifications in healthcare quality (CPHQ) and patient safety (CPPS) and staying connected to my quality roots is important to me.

I currently work at the Texas Nurses Association where I support our members.  Although I am not in a healthcare quality role, we are continuously irmpoving.  A challenge we are working on now is modernizing our data management & analytics, and process documentation.  We have been an organization over 100 years and it is surprising how little is written down.

I look forward to meeting  members who work in associations, fellow Texans, members of my divisions (healthcare, human development & leadership, service quality, and innovation), and people with a passion for working with local government to improve quality of life in the communities where they live.

Nice to "meet" you all!

Warm regards,

Ellen Martin

Re: Greetings from Austin Texas

Posted by Steven Schuelka on Mar 6, 2019 11:21 pm

When I worked in healthcare, I had to do a Scavenger Hunt to find all the expired meds in the hospital.  There were LOTS!  Had to change our stocking process to help ensure that we never had that issue again.  Possibly you will make it to WCQI in Ft. Worth this year.

Re: Greetings from Austin Texas

Posted by Amanda Foster on Mar 7, 2019 6:42 am

Welcome Ellen Martin‍! I am glad there are people in quality roles such as yours in the hospitals.

Re: Greetings from Austin Texas

Posted by Cynthia Nazario on Mar 7, 2019 8:49 am

Welcome, Ellen Martin‍!
Product Owner

Re: Greetings from Austin Texas

Posted by Ellen Martin on Mar 7, 2019 10:43 am

Hi Steven,
I hope to attend. Because I am not in a quality role now, attending the conference would be "off mission" from my current work. I did request vacation time and applied to be a volunteer.  If I am offered a volunteer slot with complimentary registration then I will be able to attend.

I got started in ASQ when the conference was in Charlotte NC in 2001.  I was in graduate school and our management professor encouraged us to join as student members and serve on the local program committee.  It was an AMAZING experience! I had the opportunity to meet both Joseph Juran and Armand Feigenbaum who both signed my well worn copies of their books.  I thought about dropping membership because back then it seemed very manufacturing-oriented and not much going on with healthcare.  Dr. McGrath encouraged me to stick with it because he said we learn more from people outside our usual circles.  I am so glad I did because he was so right! It has been a joy to be member and I have learned so much from professionals in other industries.

Warm regards,

Ellen

Re: Greetings from Austin Texas

Posted by Flip Diving on Apr 1, 2019 11:52 pm

Commonly we attain confused when we finally hear the exact terms website development service in addition to internet developer getting used interchangeably. But thoughts is broken done looking over this, all your individual confusions may perhaps disappear. Poof!
webnovel