Posted by Daniel Zrymiak on Dec 20, 2018 12:52 pm

The myASQ rewards people who opt to Add Friend, Like, post, or download items on this site.

It is not hard and you can do it concurrently while listening to music or a podcast.

An active myASQ member can gain up to 500 points/week, accumulating their score and reaching new levels on the myASQ Leaderboard.

I challenge each new participant to bring themselves up to the 1,000 club.  This 1,000 point threshold should be mandatory for every BoD member, RD, and Division Chair.

What are you waiting for?  This is our myASQ forum.  See if you can join Amanda Foster‍  ,  David Harry‍ , Luigi Sille‍ , Dan Burrows‍ , and Jerry Rice‍  on the top page of the myASQ Leaderboard.

Re: Forget Candy Crush. "Level Up" on myASQ when you Add Friend, Like, Post, or Download

Posted by Cynthia Nazario on Dec 20, 2018 12:58 pm

Daniel Zrymiak‍ I moved this into feedback. It's admittedly not the best location, but I previously communicated it's not a good idea to promote ways to earn points as those will be changing.
Product Owner

Posted by Daniel Zrymiak on Dec 20, 2018 1:21 pm

The intent was to encourage others to become more active on myASQ.

If people are induced to download items, they might actually discover the great content available from the divisions and other communities.

Posted by Daniel Zrymiak on Dec 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Since last Friday, when I accumulated 15,000 points on myASQ, I have earned enough within 1 week to put me in back among the top 10 myASQ users with over 800 points in 6 days.

What I am demonstrating is that a typical week of an active user exceeds the accumulated overall engagement of the majority of myASQ users.  Even a modest goal like 12 points per week (representing 6 Add Friend requests, 12 posts, 12 downloads, 12 likes, or a blended combination) would be enough to get a person in the top percentile over a 26 week (6 month) period since WCQI. (top percentile cutoff is now 240 points).

Maybe there should be more of a competitive "achievement mentality" among the senior tier of ASQ member leaders.  Then we would have more Fellows, more ASQ Award recipients, and our Society would be rife with a robust sense of vibrancy and vitality.

Posted by Dan Burrows on Dec 20, 2018 10:25 pm

Hey, I just got 3 myASQ points for liking Dan Z's original post and two comments.

Not too shabby ;-)
Dan Burrows ASQ Reliability & Risk Division - Chair

Posted by Dan Burrows on Dec 20, 2018 10:28 pm

Oh, and a point for posting that I got points and a point for liking myself (I do) and a point for this post and a point for when I like myself again (I truly do).

Wait a minute... is this one of those multi-level marketing schemes?  ;-)
Dan Burrows ASQ Reliability & Risk Division - Chair

Posted by Daniel Zrymiak on Dec 20, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi Dan Burrows‍ , this is a self-enabled, self-enriching mechanism.  You can also indicate your propensity to Like things, even when you find them objectionable or disconcerting.  Think of it as offering a seasonal sentiment of empathy and goodwill.

As for the Add Friend, well couldn't we all use a friend over the holidays?

Posted by Dan Burrows on Dec 20, 2018 11:19 pm

Liked that too Danny Z.  One more point!  And another point on the way for this post liking you.  And I'm going to like myself again too for another point.  Cha-Ching!

But I bow to you.  This little grasshopper will never catch up to the master.
Dan Burrows ASQ Reliability & Risk Division - Chair

Posted by Harry Rowe on Dec 21, 2018 7:16 am

In my humble opinion the whole "points for engagement" idea is undignified and inappropriate for a society of professionals. Your mileage may vary.
Harry Rowe Certified Manager of Quality and Organizational Excellence ASQ Senior Member

Posted by Dan Burrows on Dec 21, 2018 10:01 am

I think that we just got rebuked by Harry, but I really like him and liked his post and will like me posting about really liking him... 3 points.

Dang it, Danny Z, you've gotten me hooked.  How do I get the bonus striped candies and wrapped candies?  Oh, and one of those lollipop hammers?

I guess that we might want to be careful here on myASQ as it gains momentum because as it gets more popular we might start getting folks spreading fake news to influence our governance. ;-)
Dan Burrows ASQ Reliability & Risk Division - Chair

Posted by Daniel Zrymiak on Dec 21, 2018 1:46 pm

Hello Dan Burrows‍ , Harry Rowe‍

I will aslo add the distinguished and colourful Brooks Carder‍  , James Miller‍ , and Doug Sadtler‍  to this conversation to round out the dignified few.

One of the great legacies of the ASQC era was the idea of "participation points for engagement".  This is evident in two current programs:

Renewal of ASQ certifications by journal submission

Qualification of a Senior Member to the sublime rank of a Fellow Member

I think that I observed due decorum in May 2010 when I was presented with the ASQ Fellows pin at WCQI, although my necktie was tucked away as it was a very humid spring in St. Louis.

Posted by James Miller on Dec 22, 2018 6:57 am

I'm color full? truly... that tickles me pink!
hehe

Posted by Dan Burrows on Dec 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Danny Z, careful who you include in the grouping of the dignified few.

Including me drags down the class average ;-)
Dan Burrows ASQ Reliability & Risk Division - Chair

Posted by Doug Sadtler on Dec 23, 2018 10:34 pm

Okay...I cannot believe I'm responding to this, but here goes.  Danny Boy, when you told me about the Friend Request Point Bonanza months ago, it was all I could do to shake my head and just mumble another unsatisfactory verbal offering about my overarching opinion of the myASQ initiative.  I would love to engage with my peers here - I truly would - but staunchly put me in the category with Harry Rowe (how does one tag somebody...I'll have to have Dan teach me - apparently typing their name isn't how it works).  I have received Connection Requests from people I don't know, and while I am happy to strike a dialogue with my colleagues if they are interested, my interest most certainly does not lie in "how many points I acquire for some inane act."

I appreciate Dan trying to get me better involved - I wish I could be.  There is a tremendous amount of information I know about this Society's actions over the last year that needs to be told, and thankfully Dan Z and Dan B. have done a great job at disclosing most of that through our association.  I have contributed here because what I have to say is really important, but it is also things that Milwaukee doesn't really desire to see on their beloved Platform, which...News Flash, Milwaukee...actually DISCOURAGES participation from your Member-body.

I prize meaningful discourse, and I welcome that from whomever wishes to do so, but please don't count on my participation to be "point-driven."  Dear Milwaukee, if you want to encourage engaged discourse, then please understand that sometimes a tough and earnest discussion is a badge of courage, and it needs to be left alone.  If you want an engaged Platform, understand that those of us questioning your practices are doing so because of the evidence-trail you leave behind.

I have no need for "points," I have a need for a Professional Society that I can count on to help me be my best today, and that encourages me to be my best tomorrow.  Right now, I get that from my colleagues.  My Professional Society??...well, "your mileage may vary," but I am embarrassed with its displayed abilities to do its fundamental jobs, like governance and financial management...with transparency.

Doug Sadtler, CQA, CQPA * Quality Inspector - Allen Edmonds * Chair - Section #1118 * Nashville, TN www.linkedin/in/douglassadtlerquality

Posted by Daniel Zrymiak on Dec 24, 2018 2:56 pm

When you apply the prefix "@" before the name, a menu will appear.  From this menu, I was able to select Doug Sadtler‍ .

I have considerable respect for Harry Rowe‍  and consider his perspectives to be well-founded contemplations from a thoughtful and altruistic maven.  You may be inclined to disagree with me and align with Harry, and I extend no ill will: whatever Rowe's your boat.

I don't accumulate points for my ego: it is done out of spite and defiance to those who claim to be "firing on all cylinders" for ASQ, but cannot even bring themselves to partake in this myASQ solution they so emphatically promoted as the technical evolution of member interaction.

Yes, I want more members to be engaged and visible.  I want more Fellows at the luncheons and more speakers at the conferences.  That is how organizations demonstrate vitality and sustainability: through timely and frequent changing of the guard (at all levels).

Posted by Doug Sadtler on Dec 29, 2018 11:01 pm

Dan,

Thank you for your wisdom.  I have learned and applied your lesson!!!