Posted by Ronald Kelley on Apr 18, 2018 11:57 pm

I've just done a walkthrough of the new myASQ community site. I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised by how far the IT team has come in such a short time. Thank you, Cynthia, Craig, and your teams for your hard work. Thank you also to the Beta testers in Lexington, Milwaukee, QMD, Six Sigma Forum, and the United Arab Emirates.

I'm looking forward to learning how to customize the "MYHOME" page for Section, Region, and Special Interest Group member engagement. Speaking of the last item, will SIGs get a page? What about Regions?

What does everyone else think? Will this offering be able to replace our local section websites? It looks like most of the functionality is there, but what about local branding (in conformance with ASQ branding guidelines of course). Will we have the ability to customize a splash page? Content management seems to be plentiful. Good job. What about event management and access to mailing lists? What do other members think? Any concerns or suggestions. Will this work as a marketing tool? Remember that this is just the beginning. Functionality will continue to be added

So, the big question is: Do you think that this can replace your current website? What about event registration? If not, do you think it has the potential to do so in the not too distant future?

I'm looking forward to the demonstrations, presentations, and discussions at CLI in Seattle. Thanks again.

Cheers!

Ron

Ronald J. Kelley

Re: What do you think of the new myASQ? Will this replace the section website and be the primary marketing tool.

Posted by Kavitha Prabhu on Apr 19, 2018 12:39 am

This indeed has plesently suprised me and feel myself very impressed with the ease that it brings in moving around the site and also getting to the various topics. Thank you Cynthia and the team!! Kudos.

Posted by Cynthia Nazario on Apr 19, 2018 4:42 pm

Ronald Kelley‍ and Kavitha Prabhu‍ thank you so much. As you keep "poking" around, please continue to provide feedback at myasq@asq.org or in the myASQ Feedback discussion board!
Product Owner

Posted by Michael Kirchner on Apr 20, 2018 9:31 am

Cynthia,

I can see some of my (personal) Communities listed, but not completely populated. For example, the Member Leader Community is shown, but there is nothing else posted under it.

I uploaded my photo and that went well - very easy to do, especially with Drag and Drop.

When I try to update my professional items in my profile, an error is raised. Perhaps that is retrained by the "Retired" class? I could still be more than a "New to Quality" person, and have interest areas. Alas, that pesky error.

Otherwise - no complaints. Looks good.

Posted by Michael Kirchner on Apr 20, 2018 9:59 am

Cynthia,

I noticed a few of other items
  1. No spellcheck for Posts (that I can see, anyway) (see intentional mistake at the end - and one that I make a lot!)
  2. I could not load an Image to a Post (a PNG screengrab)
  3. New external re-directs/outside MyASQ sources should open in New Browser Windows, not continue in serial sequence from MyASQ. When you close that external window, you will close MyASQ. Of course, you could raise the alert that it will open in a new window and provide an option (if that is available). Example - referral to open a Qualitrics survey simply continues on, and when you complete the survey and close the window, you close MyASQ. Probably not what we want to happen.
Thansk!!

Posted by Cynthia Nazario on Apr 20, 2018 10:16 am

Michael Kirchner‍ Thanks for the feedback!
Product Owner

Posted by Raymond Dyer on Apr 20, 2018 2:52 pm

I'm getting "Error Processing Your Request." when trying to update "Professional Experience"? Is this because I'm not set up as part of the pilot team or what?

Posted by David Levy on Apr 20, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi Shannon,
I just responded to the survey on Qualtrex.
Be advised that I am an After 5 speaker on Monday.
David

Posted by Doug Sadtler on Apr 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Raymond Dyer:

I am getting it, too...Raymond.
Doug Sadtler, CQA, CQPA * Quality Inspector - Allen Edmonds * Chair - Section #1118 * Nashville, TN www.linkedin/in/douglassadtlerquality

Posted by Harry Rowe on Apr 21, 2018 10:33 am

I tried the myASQ "Tour" hoping to get an overview of the functionality of the new community, but that didn't provide the type of information I was looking for.

Perhaps my perception will improve as I get more familiar with the tool, but so far this just seems more confusing than the old platform without much increase in capability. The user interface is confusing. I haven't found any "Help" to explain what can be done or how to do it. If the information is structured in some way beyond "Communities" and "Discussions", that isn't apparent.

I posted in the old community a lament about the loss of substantial information in the transition. Several people pointed out that they had been working to manually transfer information from the old platform to myASQ, so I apologized. Seeing what is available here today, and having received a "server not found" error when navigating to the old platform, I fear I was justified in anticipating massive information loss. Please tell me I'm wrong and that the remaining content from the old communities will be migrated. Automated tools exist to do these types of migrations. It should require minimal human intervention.

Look up the term "time binding". It refers to the ability of humans to use written information to allow one generation to build upon the accomplishments of the previous generation because information is preserved in writing. If knowledge has to be recreated by each generation, there can be little progress. Transitioning from one "content management" or "data storage and retrieval" system to another without migrating the information to the new system is somewhat like building a new library and burning the old one without bothering to move the books.

Harry Rowe Certified Manager of Quality and Organizational Excellence ASQ Senior Member

Posted by Cynthia Nazario on Apr 22, 2018 7:24 pm

Raymond Dyer‍ and Doug Sadtler‍, thanks for the feedback on the professional experience portion of the profile. It's been logged as an issue.
Product Owner

Posted by Cynthia Nazario on Apr 24, 2018 12:56 pm

Raymond Dyer‍ and Doug Sadtler‍, the professional experience fields sync from your customer record. There is a note on that edit page for those fields: Work address required. Please add a work address with job title located in address information in my account on asq.org. This does not need to be your primary address. I hope this helps!
Product Owner

Posted by Cynthia Nazario on Apr 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Harry Rowe‍ By design, we had intended the welcome tour to encourage you to manage your experience through your settings and utilize key features (discussion board, profile, connections) to introduce you to the site. I would love to hear how we can improve this or what is missing that may be done elsewhere.

While the platforms have similarities, neither their structure nor our intended use is the same. Many of the features in the old platform, while appearing to be communities, were not communities and many did not have activity within the past year or more. In some cases, the individuals associated with those areas are no longer active.

We reviewed options for migrating content but found no suitable solution. Without a significant amount of human intervention, a mass migration would not have been desirable since it would migrate content that could be objectionable or otherwise inappropriate for its new location. It would also not be associated with the user who posted it. For those reasons, we did not migrate discussions or blogs.

For communities, however, many will be transitioning to the new platform. The community administrators will determine what is needed from their previous sites. They will also determine how best to present this information, leveraging new functionality. Because of the difference in site structure, files and other similar content could not be moved in a way that would not have required custom mapping based on different site needs and/or significant re-work by community administrators in organizing content once moved.

The server not found issue will be corrected to a redirect to the new platform. This may not help if you are looking for something specific that has not been added yet. Please let me know and I can follow up with you.

I hope you continue to familiarize yourself with the new platform. The best part of community is what the users bring to it and what they identify as needs. We will continue to observe and respond. Thank you for your feedback!
Product Owner

Posted by Raymond Dyer on Apr 28, 2018 8:46 pm

Cynthia,
I don't see where, in the ASQ User Profile, I would add my work information. Anyways, I'm currently out of work. How exactly would I proceed if I was working?
Ray

Posted by Michelle Cloyd on Apr 29, 2018 8:31 am

After spending just a little time on various devices, (yes, I brought a smart phone, a tablet, and a laptop to Seattle), I think this site works well on the laptop/PC, okay on the tablet, and not so well on the smart phone.  I'm using Google Chrome on all 3 devices with Windows 10 on the laptop and iOS on the other two.
The tablet fails with any pulldown/multiple choice fields.  It just won't allow any selections.
The phone has the above challenge with the additional "feature" that there is no option to reply to discussions from that device.  The option does not even appear.
I think ultimately success will depend upon user adoption, which could only be helped by improving the types of devices that work seemlessly with the site.  A mobile app would help also.
I love the concept and look forward to seeing more improvements to keep me connected with other Quality professionals!  Thanks, Cynthia, Craig, & teams for your extreme efforts in such a short time!
MichelleC, CQE, CRE

Posted by Michelle Cloyd on Apr 29, 2018 8:35 am

Raymond Dyer:
Cynthia,
Ray

Ray, I struggled with this myself.  In your user profile within your account information, if you go into the addresses section, you can edit or add an address and using a pulldown menu select Home or Work as the type. By selecting work, you can also add your title.  I was unable to use pulldown with my smart phone or tablet, so I recommend doing this from a PC/laptop.
Good luck with your job search! (You may was to post some information on MyASQ regarding the type of job you're looking for in case anyone in our Society has any leads for you.)
MichelleC, CQE, CRE

Posted by Raymond Dyer on Apr 29, 2018 9:32 am

Michelle Cloyd, Thanks. The suggestion you made seems to have worked but then, going back to myASQ My Setting, it looks like the settings have changed. They now state "To change your account information please navigate to https://asq.org/account". Looks like they got rid of the myASQ interface altogether?

Posted by Joe Wojniak on May 3, 2018 12:56 pm

I like the new format-- but I don't like that I have to enter my profile information again. People seem to be more engaged, it's great to see so many posts.
Joe Wojniak ASQ CMQ/OE, CQE

Posted by Cynthia Nazario on May 3, 2018 12:58 pm

Raymond Dyer‍ Changes to the address information will allow the job title and job function fields to show up in you myASQ profile. I'm not sure what else you may see that is different in your profile now. I'll follow up with you directly when I'm back in the office tomorrow so we can take a look together.

Also, please check out the Career Center, which is a free service for job seekers. https://asq.org/career
Product Owner

Posted by Claire Everett on May 8, 2018 1:30 am

Hi Cynthia

I noticed that when posting our signatures display on one line even when they are saved on multiple ines and there's no way to fix this while posting.

Posted by Cynthia Nazario on May 8, 2018 9:36 am

Claire Everett‍ thanks for the feedback. We will take a look at that.
Product Owner