The Process Engineer position manages Process Improvements in manufacturing. Learns process by doing and following SOP’s. Position works hands on with employees to improve the processes by reducing costs and improving quality of the products. This position will also include involvement in collecting, formalizing and analyzing all production data, companywide SOP improvements, companywide SOP employee training, production quality process data management and more. Justifies costs (payback) for needed investments required for improvements and establishes time for completion. Oversees the implementation of the improvements and adherence to time requirements. Hands on helps install and debug process improvements along with employees and vendors. The employee will be required to step in and help with all small company needs such as preparing a rush shipment or helping with production as needed. Must also work with sales and administration. The successful candidate’s working hours must be flexible to accommodate 2 shift production schedule. Some travel (up to 5% of time) can be expected, most of the time to visit parts suppliers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Help improve the Processes by doing all tasks 30% of time
- SOP’s refinement and employee training 20% of time
- Test, evaluate and document quality of products 15% of time
- Implement new equipment improvements 15% of time
- Safety coordination 5% of time
- Building repairs and maintenance 15% of time
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Understand each position and duty of the company.
- Be a self-starter and have the drive to push others to continuously improve all company processes.
- Good communication skills and be able to work favorably with factory and administrative employees.
- Good trouble shooting and problem-solving skills essential.
- Understanding of 3 phase electric, heat transfer, equipment controls, natural gas and machine shop tools are needed.
- Mental alertness and adaptability to office and plant area work routines.
- Prior experience as an Industrial Engineer or equivalent with 2 years’ experience in a Lean type program and 5 to 10 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Team player with desire to work daily with factory, sales and administrative employees.
- Ability to technically understand and help improve the processes and products.
- Be able to maintain a fast pace in a hot or cold environment.
- Use SAGE purchasing software
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
- Occasionally – balancing, crawling, repetitive motion
- Frequently – climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, pushing, pulling, lifting
- Constantly – standing, walking, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing
- Medium work. Exerting up to 70 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts, and/or operation of machines (including inspection); using measurement devices; and/or assembly or fabrication parts at distances close to the eyes.
- The worker is exposed to adverse environmental conditions such as temperature extremes and dust and dirt.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.